In order to understand the Qur’an properly, it is necessary to follow the correct rules, principles and methods of researching the Qur’an. Below are the important points of all those rules and regulations-
- Following the easy way to understand the Qur’an. There are three important parts to this path:
One: Interpretation of the Qur’an first with the Qur’an, then with the Sunnah and then with the sayings of the Companions. The best of these is the interpretation of the Qur’an with the Qur’an. Besides, if there is a verse related to the same subject in another surah, then find out the meaning of that verse. If the statement in one instrument is vague then its clear explanation can be found in another instrument, if the statement is short then there will be detailed statement elsewhere. Those who accept some parts of the Qur’an and omit some parts, Allah has condemned them in the Qur’an, “Do you believe in some parts of the Book and disbelieve in some parts?”
So those who have a tendency to deviate from the truth in their hearts, they follow the verses of Mutashabih for the purpose of sedition and in search of misinterpretation. The word of Allah, “And whoever turns away from My remembrance, for him there will surely be a shortened life.” Is the meaning of “remembrance of Allah” here the Qur’an, or the books which Allah has sent down, or the remembrance of Allah through Tasbeeh Tahlil?
If we look at the previous statement of the verse, we will understand that the Qur’an here is meant by ‘remembrance of Allah’, not the others; Because Allah says, “He said, ‘Go down from Paradise together.’ You are enemies of each other.
Then when guidance comes to you from Me, then whoever follows My guidance will not go astray nor will he be unhappy. ‘ ‘And whoever turns away from My remembrance, for him there will surely be a narrow life, and I will raise him up blind on the Day of Resurrection. He will say, ‘O my Lord, why did you raise me blind? But I was able to see ‘? He will say, “That is how My signs (the Qur’an) came to you, but you forgot them, and that is how you are forgotten today.” Allah Himself has permitted the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) to interpret the Qur’aan through his Sunnah. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): “And We have sent down to you the Qur’aan so that you may make clear to mankind what has been sent down to them and that they may reflect.”
Imam al-Shafi’i said that all the commands that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) gave included what he understood from the Qur’aan. Because Allah says, “Surely I have sent down to you the Book with the truth, so that you may judge between people according to what Allah has shown you.” And do not argue for the treacherous ones. “” And We have sent down to you (O Muhammad SAW) the Book only that you may make clear to them what they are arguing about, and that it is a guidance and a mercy for a people who believe. ” If the Qur’an cannot be interpreted with the Qur’an and Sunnah, then the Qur’an must be interpreted through the sayings of the Companions; Because they have directly witnessed the state and context of the revelation of the Qur’an, which others have not been able to do. Moreover, with the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) they were enlightened by the correct knowledge, wisdom and knowledge of the original Makasis of Islam.
Hazrat Abdullah Ibn Masood (may Allah be pleased with him) said, ‘By the One who has no one worthy of worship except Him, whatever verse was revealed in the Book of Allah, I knew about whom that verse was revealed and where it was revealed. I would have come to him if I had found someone who knew more about the Book of Allah than I do. ‘ They made an excellent combination between Ilam and Amal.
Two: To know the cause and context of the revelation. The Qur’an is basically the word of God, which has a literal meaning. Many times he needs to be aware of the overall context and the purpose for which the address is meant to understand the literal meaning.
If this is not known, various problems and doubts may arise in the Muslim mind regarding the verses of the Qur’an. A scholar named Bukayr asked the eminent Tabi’i Nafi ‘, what was Ibn Umar’s opinion about the Haruri community? He said he considered them inferior to God’s creation; Because they used to apply the verses revealed to the disbelievers to the believers. ‘Three: Knowing the Arabic language.
The Qur’an was revealed in clear Arabic. Therefore, he who wants to understand the Qur’an correctly must understand the Arabic language. At the same time, one should be familiar with the Arabs’ customs and traditions in word, deed and in the various contexts of the revelation of the Qur’an. Based on these three things, if we want to get a tafsir that will help us to understand the Qur’an correctly, then we have to choose a book of tafsir and commentary that has enough importance on these three things. Notable among such commentaries and commentaries are Hafiz Ibn Kathir’s Tafsirul Qurania Azeem, Shaykh Abdur Rahman As-Saadir Taisirul Kareem Ar-Rahman, Abu Bakr Al-Jazairi’s Aisarut Tafasir, Abul Ala Maududi’s Tafheer, Jilalil Quran, Dr. Muhammad al-Ashkar’s Jubdatuz Tafasir etc. In reading the tafsir, one should keep in mind that there are some errors in the tafsir of many, and there are some doctrinal confusions. You have to keep yourself away from all these mistakes and confusions.
- To understand and research the Qur’an which is useful and beneficial for all, one should always keep oneself involved and engaged in it. And what is not useful and necessary should be avoided. Allah Himself, without directly answering the many unnecessary questions of the people, has raised the issues which are beneficial for the people. We find the real example of this in the following verse. Allah says, “They ask you about the new moons.” Say, “It determines the time for man and Hajj.”
And it is not a good thing that you should enter the house from the back. But the best thing is to be pious. And enter houses through its gates, and fear Allah, that you may be successful. ”In this verse, people asked about the moon. , Or what is the reality of the moon or what is the benefit of the moon, etc. But Allah did not answer their question directly and gave a statement that everyone benefits by knowing. There are many more such examples in the Qur’an.
- To understand its meaning along with reciting the words of the Qur’an and to be engaged in thinking about it and to influence the heart with that meaning. Therefore, it is necessary to not only recite the Qur’an, but also to think about the instructions and prohibitions contained in it, to accept them and to act upon them, and to apologize if there is a mistake in obeying. When the verses of mercy are recited, the heart will tremble with joy and in its heart will pray to the Lord for it. When the verses of torment are recited again, it is as if the mind is filled with fear and seeks refuge in Allah from it. This is what the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) himself did. 4. Knowing the basic meanings and important points of the Qur’an, which is the focus of Qur’anic discussion and which has been repeated in the Qur’an. For example, the Qur’an discusses and emphasizes the implementation of Tauhid, rejection of Shirk, and the fundamentals of faith and Islam. Therefore, one should try to understand the Qur’an with the correct idea about them.
- Connecting and coordinating the beautiful names of Allah and all the instruments that have come in them. It is often seen that the verse ends with a name of Allah. It should be kept in mind that the special name of Allah should be mentioned at the end of the verse, as the verse of mercy ends with the name of Allah, while the verses of punishment and punishment end with the name of strength, power, knowledge, wisdom and authority. One should be more careful so that no name adjective of Allah is distorted from its true meaning. 6. Understand the verse with its relevant and incidental meaning, that is, try to understand the verse with all the things on which the meaning of the verse depends. As Allah has said, “O you who believe, when you wish to stand in prayer, wash your hands up to your face and elbows, massage your head and feet up to your ankles.” However, it is known that water is needed for azure, it is necessary to try various ways to get water. Therefore, all the work required for performing ablution will be included in this instruction.
- To make the matters of scientific information and recent discoveries consistent and consistent with the statement of Qur’an. However, it should be noted that the Qur’an was not revealed to provide scientific information. So it is not a storehouse of all scientific knowledge. And it is also important to believe that all the scientific information in the Qur’an is correct. However, the problem arises when we think of things that are not scientific and think of them as matters of science and we engage in scientific interpretation of the Qur’an. In this case, the reader may feel that there is a rift between the Qur’an and science, and this is due to the negligence of the reader. There is nothing in the Qur’an contrary to the great truth. We have to try to understand the Qur’an keeping in mind the issues. The Qur’an is easy to understand; Because Allah has made it easy for us. But we have to follow the correct method of understanding the Qur’an.